Thursday, January 18, 2007

Life without fear

This week I've been contemplating 2 Timothy 1:7 which says: "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." How often I forget to not be fearful! This world is full of things to be fearful of, but God is here. Thank goodness God is here to remind me of this. He's reminded me all day. This morning I was driving to work and praying. (I have a 25 mile drive to work which is perfect for praying.) I was telling God about some issues I've been thinking about, and He very quickly impressed with the fact that He knew all about it and had it under control without my help. I was filled with a feeling of peace. I arrived at work to find 2 Timothy 1:7 on my desk calendar. A few minutes ago a coworker shared a story with me about how God led her to some verses in the Bible when she had a need for encouragement. So now the teacher in me is trying to figure out how to bring all this around to the point and the lesson on how to not be fearful. What comes to mind is another verse - "Be still and know that I am God."

4 comments:

Threads Everywhere said...

Perfect love casts out all fear! If we don't focus on ourselves, then we are free to love as Christ loves us, and what is there to fear! thank you for the reminder, we all need it!

Petraglyph said...

What an awesome post, Lisa. I know that I have the same problem of worrying and being fearful about things when I should just let God take care of them. Fear is actually part of our intrinsic self-centeredness that rises to the top in a non-recognizeable form. We try grabbing the reigns from God's hands, and therefore think that we're justified in fretting over the next turn in the road. But God has offered to masterfully guide the wagon to its destination! We don't have to fear if we don't want to. All we have to do is hand Him the reigns and trust His judgement. It's tough to do, but it's totally worth it. I'm glad you reminded me to do this today. :-)

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Hey Lisa!
It's good that you are on a blog! Welcome!
I love that verse too. God is so good that He gives us "exceeding great and precious promises" in the Bible.

Paul said...

Greatings,

I enjoyed your comment on Petra's blog.
If we love with our whole hearts, there's no room for fear.