Monday, December 17, 2007

Thoughts on Christmas


I was thinking this weekend about what a miracle Jesus's birth was. How could the Creator of the universe become a tiny baby? The lyrics of a song I heard on the radio started me thinking about it. The words expressed the idea that the tiny baby hands that reached out in the dark were the same hands that spanned the universe at Creation. I wonder what went on in heaven the day that God the Son was transformed into a human fetus. What did Mary feel? Did she know the moment she became pregnant? I like to think that she felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. How was His DNA formed? He must have had a strand from Mary. What was the other half? Did God replicate Joseph's DNA or did He create a strand? I have always loved the story of Jesus's birth, especially the version found in the book My Bible Friends. "Clip-clop, clip-clop went Small Donkey's hooves as he slowly climbed the last hill." My parents would read me this story from the time I was a little kid. I take it for granted. I want this Christmas to be more meaningful and purposeful in that I reflect more on the Messiah's miraculous birth. I need to be like Gladys Herdman in the book The Best Christmas Pageant Ever declaring to the world - "Hey! Unto you a Child is born!" Ellen White expressed in The Desire of Ages what I feel is the most important part of the story: "In the fields where the boy David had led his flock, shepherds were still keeping watch by night. Through the silent hours they talked together of the promised Saviour, and prayed for the coming of the King to David's throne. "And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." ...Then the joy and glory could no longer be hidden. The whole plain was lighted up with the bright shining of the hosts of God. Earth was hushed, and heaven stooped to listen to the song,-- "Glory to God in the highest,And on earth peace, good will toward men." Oh that today the human family could recognize that song! The declaration then made, the note then struck, will swell to the close of time, and resound to the ends of the earth. When the Sun of Righteousness shall arise, with healing in His wings, that song will be re-echoed by the voice of a great multitude, as the voice of many waters, saying, "Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth." Rev. 19:6. (p. 47-48)

3 comments:

Threads Everywhere said...

What a wonderful reminder with beautiful words! Thank you for sharing. I never thought I would read a letter that quoted both Ellen White and Gladys Herdman! You did it well! Love you and Merry Christmas, "for unto US is born this day..."

Unknown said...

We have read your beautiful article, again.
Keep writing; we enjoy your reflexions.

Mormorfar

Unknown said...

P.S.
Reflexion in Britain and Denmark.
Reflection in USA.

MF